Search Truly Claire

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Little Updates

Wednesday, December 4, 2013
claire black and white

1.) I got a part-time job working overnight doing stock replenishment for a beauty supply store here in town. My first night was last night and it was a breeze. I love having something to constantly do where my mind is totally focused on the task at hand; it's like meditation for me. Plus, I'm already accustomed to the schedule. It may only be a seasonal position, I'm not entirely sure, but I'm happy to have it. Hopefully they see my work ethic and ability to learn quickly and decide to keep me on permanently. (I've had to remind myself that even if you are competent, have common sense, and are skillful most people will still treat the "new girl" like an idiot until she's proven herself to them which unfortunately you have to do at any new work environment no matter your level of position or authority. It's a reality that I accept.)


sock loom and yarn


2.) The sock knitting loom is a trial of patience.
It took me two hours to get just this far because of the tedium of pulling the loops over the small pegs. The fabric I've knitted so far bare extends the height of the loom. I do think that knitting looms are ideal for folks who have never knitted before and are just learning concept so they can be very useful. However, after two hours I think I I would have had a finished or nearly finished sock using traditional knitting technique of knitting in the round with four needles. I've decided to test this theory out and continue to finish the sock on the loom and then create its twin using traditional knitting needles. I'll post my results later. Sadly, this means no sock loom knitted Christmas gifts for anyone this year.


birthingelephant book

3.) I've slowed down a lot.
For the past year I've been going quite hard with getting Thorn & Laurel up and running. I realized that though I loved this new endeavor it was wearing me out. I have a book that is really helpful in deepening my understanding of the emotional and psychological part of starting a business (lots and lots of ups and downs). It's titled Birthing the Elephant, The woman's go-for-it! guide to overcoming the big challenges of launching a business by Karin Abarbanel and Bruce Freeman and I recommend anyone even thinking of becoming an entrepreneur to read it woman or otherwise. I've gone back over the pages and assured myself that it's okay to take a breather before I head into the next phase of the business. Giving myself a chance to recharge my batteries and regain focus I think will really help. Of course I have lists and lists of new ideas and my original business plan to serve as my road map, but one person can only do so much before she has to sit down for a minute. Doing so has helped me balance my stress, expectations, and time better. I'm looking quite positively towards the future.

4.) Wedding Project
I'm making stellar progress on the project I told you about here. I would ordinarily post pictures but since we don't want the groom accidentally seeing the bride in her gown before the wedding day I'll have to wait, but I will show you some muslins that I've done up in a later post. It's so exciting!

I hope everyone has had a beautiful past few weeks and if you've celebrated Thanksgiving this past weekend I hope it was a happy and safe one.

Until next time,

claire lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment